Mobile know-how, evolving from 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE and now 5G, is likely one of the fundamental pillars of commercial IoT networks. It permits connectivity with 1000’s of distant units deployed within the area, throughout industries and use circumstances.
Like several know-how, mobile know-how evolves over time as new releases of 3GPP specs are developed, carried out by distributors, and adopted by providers suppliers or personal networks operators. Right now, the primary market pattern is 4G/LTE providers, whereas new 5G providers at the moment are showing around the globe.
What about legacy 2G and 3G providers nonetheless in use on many industrial deployments around the globe?
The variety of mobile units reached 8.6 billion in 2021 and related functions are rising exponentially. Repurposing spectrum beforehand utilized on 2G and 3G networks to be used with sooner and extra environment friendly 4G/LTE and 5G providers is a part of all cellular community operators planning. The dates for the sundown of 2G and 3G applied sciences range by world area and cellular operator. Finish customers should pay attention to these sundown dates and migrate to 4G/LTE connectivity prior to those dates to stop lack of connectivity.
2G and 3G sundown overview
Whereas the under record of sundown schedules for worldwide 2G and 3G cellular operators isn’t exhaustive, it helps you to begin planning for the influence in your industrial IoT community.
Industrial IoT routers – modularity a KEY requirement
Industrial IoT networks leveraging mobile applied sciences are typically deployed for 5-10 years. The cell phones business, with its practically 15 billion units [Statista], has a shorter life span of 18-30 months [Statista U.S.]. This represents a problem for modem distributors. They need to renew their chipset to align with new 3GPP releases, whereas sustaining older generations of modem chipsets and firmware. That’s the reason the deployment of commercial IoT routers reminiscent of the most recent Cisco IR collection with modular mobile interface permits future proofing and easy evolution of mobile know-how with out changing all tools.
Cisco industrial IoT routers – making ready for 3G sundown
All Cisco industrial IoT routers help 4G/LTE, even these bought within the final 10 years. It means your industrial IoT community is generally prepared for the 3G sundown. The next finest practices will guarantee a easy transition from 3G to 4G.
- Run one of the latest Cisco IOS or Cisco IOS-XE releases
- Improve your modem firmware to the latest launch obtainable on Cisco.com to your modem kind. Bear in mind that Cisco IOS upgrades don’t replace your modem’s firmware.
- Validate that your SIM subscription is 4G/LTE enabled and evaluate your information plan as applicable.
- Lock your mobile interface configuration to “all-LTE-only” to keep away from any 3G fallback that will disrupt the communications.
- Monitor the 4G/LTE sign high quality in case radio protection is totally different between 3G and 4G/LTE providers.
- Overview Cisco’s router antennas information in case you want to plan for brand new 4G/LTE (e.g. CBRS B48) or 5G (e.g. n77, n78) frequency bands. If required, plan to improve the antennas accordingly.
- Automation and community administration instruments and safety finest practices don’t require adjustments.